T.The Church of Santa Maria, also known as the Church of the Lady of Assumption.Church of Neustra Sierra de la Asuncion) Is a Parsi church located in the province of Alokos Sur, Philippines. Standing high on a hill, it is one of the four Baroque churches in the Philippines listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Santa Maria Church is a complex art of clay bricks and mortar.
As a result, it becomes a tourist attraction. This is a great place for people who want to explore ancient culture and history. The long staircase leading to the church gives the church a mercurial character.
The parish of Santa Maria was originally located in Norway in 1567. It was dedicated to the Virgin Mary under the title Our Lady of Assumption. But the Virgin Mary was enthroned in a separate place called Balala. After repeated disappearances, he was locked up in a guava tree. The people of the city then decided to move the church to its present location. Construction began in 1765.
During the renovation of the church, the Bell Tower and the protective walls were built in 1810 and 1863, respectively. The Bell Tower was rebuilt the same year with a slight tilt or tilt structure, as it appears today. Also, the church was originally built using bamboo sticks. But later, local materials were replaced by rigid construction to give the church a longer life.
UNESCO World Heritage Site
The Church of Santa Maria was inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List on December 11, 1993, as part of four Barco Churches in the Philippines.
- It has been widely recognized as a heritage site for its architecture and castle-like appearance.
- The authentic features of the church building mark the architecture of the church during the Spanish colonial period of the 16th to 18th centuries. The front of the wall features high-altitude sacrificial offerings, special features in the separation of chapels in the walls, and the use of local elements and the display of traditionally dressed Catholic patron saints.
- The church reflects the local understanding of the life of Christ.
- The church building and design stand as an inspiration for later church architecture. Also, the church is known for adapting to the geographical conditions of the Philippines. Protective walls protect it from seismic activity.
- The church building tradition reflects the European style and layout with the use of organic materials and decorative elements.
How to get there
The cheapest way to reach Santa Maria Church is:
- Take your wagon bound buses to Cuba, such as Partas, Dominion Bus, Anisito Bus, and Veyron Transit. You can take any bus to Wagon and reach the appropriate city of Asta. Maria in Ilocos Sur.
- Once in town, just walk to Santa Maria Church.
- Bus fares range from PHP 500 to PHP 600.
Church place: Santa Maria Church Burgos Road, Santa Maria, Eloques Pig, Philippines
Operating hours: 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday-Sunday
Want more updates on UNESCO World Heritage Sites in the Philippines? Follow on Facebook, and #TeamOutofTown TwitterFor more travel ideas visit Instagram, Instagram and Pinterest.